Friday, July 31, 2009

Tripping through fictional fancies

The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it. ~James Bryce

I know, I was a big fan of books when I was a kid. Mostly fantasy books, some historical books, and even some more modern fiction books. Long after I learned to read I would still pull out the old watch sue run, run sue run, book, just for nostalgia I guess, and read it cover to cover when I was supposed to be in bed. There were some great fiction books I remember loving, some that I only remember the title and liking the book, but from what I recall, if it was fiction, there wasn't a book I picked up that I didn't like. Perhaps that is why I tend to horde them now...
In any event, I want to know, what are some of the books that you really liked as a kid? My favorite book from the earliest I can remember was a pop up book about dinosaurs. Then I found the boxcar children, the bobsey twins, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and so on and so forth, finding my way from Narnia to Goosebumps. I think my favorite Narnian tales were the Magician's Nephew, and A Horse and his boy. Now I still prefer fiction, although I tend to lean more toward a narrative tale, and have the occasional romance novel lying somewhere out of sight. We love the stories but can't bear the embarrassment... I really do enjoy a good historical piece as well, like the Shadow of the wind, set in post civil war Barcelona. A beautiful book, and then there is My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, brought me to tears. Ah books. *warm fuzzies*

1 comment:

Mary said...

I agree with Bryce whole heartedly. Everyone has those books and its even better when you meet someone who shares one or two of them.