Sunday, October 5, 2008

How to bond with a 10 year old

BJ has been really really busy over at the Halloween store, and we both felt like Eric needed to get his hair trimmed sooner rather than later. So, on Saturday I went over and picked Eric up and took him to have his hair cut. After promising that I would not let the lady cut off all his hair, which I had to promise many times, he allowed his hair to be cut. She took off an inch or two and put in some layers, so now he has a nice, skater boy look rather than the mullet he was trying to grow out earlier. I can tell he's happy with it. As a reward we went to Chik-fil-a for lunch, yum! I have always found it harder to talk to a kid who is a little shy. The conversation feels forced. The usual, "how was school?" get the usual shrug. But this time, I was feeling inspired. I asked him what he did in gym class. He looked at me for a second, like this was an extremely odd topic of conversation and told me he did a lot of running. I told him about my favorite times in gym when I was a kid, playing with the giant parachute on rainy days when we had to stay inside, and suddenly he was really engaged in conversation. He was asking questions, he was answering in full sentences and expanding on answers, it was awesome. We came home and played Wii Sports. I whipped him at baseball and then he won golf, tennis...boxing...well, you get the idea. We had a really good time together. Then we watched I am Legend, awesome movie that it is. He liked it, but some of the more subtle things he didn't understand, and he wasn't afraid to ask me. Then we watched IRON MAN, which is, of course, an awesome, awesome movie. I love it!!! I had a really good weekend. I am mostly over my cold, and I got some good bonding time with my soon to be brother in law. Oh, and the hairdresser, totally thought I was Eric's mom. We both thought that was funny.

No comments: