Friday, August 29, 2008

Chkersht

Chkersht...nothing sounds quite as refreshing as that sound when you crack open a can of coca-cola. Some may prefer the hiss of a soda bottle, but I know, the taste from an aluminum can cannot be rivaled by any, except maybe a glass bottle. Ahh...I deserve it too. BJ and I have been pulling up rotten planks from his Grandma's porch and replacing them with new ones. I didn't even work this hard at Busch Gardens, so this is very tiring work. Don't believe me? You try pulling 15 plus year old wood with rusty nails out. By the way, it's rotten wood because it never got sealed after it was pressure washed a few years ago, and because of the position of the shade trees, if it rains, the water just sits there. Icky. Why would I divert myself in the summer sun you may ask? Well, she is being very kind and paying not only for materials, but also paying us for work. Now I think she might want us to re-roof her shed. We'll see how that goes.
Last night brought about the fun and exciting experiment with the sweet / sticky rice.
Ta dah!!! I made an onigiri! It stuck together really really well, but there was a whole lot of pasty starch type stuff, so I think maybe I should soak the rice before I cook it. Plus I think the customary cooking method for sticky rice may be to steam it, but I am not terribly sure. I didn't get brave enough to add some seaweed to it though. I was to make sure I am cooking the rice correctly before I up and change things around. It was fun! But it didn't really taste all that great, another reason I don't think I cooked it right. By the way, they don't call it sticky rice for nothing! Now I have to figure out if I am willing to buy one of those awesome rice cookers by Zojurishi
that has a built in timer and clock setting. So instead of waking up to the smell of coffee, I could wake up to a fresh breakfast of rice, or porridge. I wonder what porridge tastes like anyway. I've never had it...This may call for another food experiment. Watch out world I'm feeling adventurous! Maybe I should get some sort of costume for my alter ego, adventurous food lady!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Sticky Rice!! Nice onigiri. I'd eat it.