Saturday, December 6, 2008

Donation time!

BJ and I like to be charitable when we can, so this year we are making a Christmas tradition. I think, once a year at Christmas time, we will pick a charity to donate too. This year was toys for tots. The year before I pick Make a Wish, and next year, who knows? Maybe someone will get smart like the barnes and noble in Massachusetts. They had little christmas trees with ornaments on them. On each ornament was the name and age of a child in the state foster care system, along with what kind of things they liked. Mary and I picked out some kids, I picked one, she picked one, and then we picked a third to share. I was visiting her at the time, I think this was two or three years ago. When we checked out we got to sign bookplates to go into the books for the kids we picked out. I think that was one of the best Christmas oriented charities I have participated in, and I really enjoyed it. Another way to donate is of the body. BJ is always very good about going to the red cross to donate whenever he becomes eligible again. They just can't get enough of his O+ blood. I go along with him for moral support. I am not allowed to donate my blood because we lived in Germany during the restricted years. It's all those exotic german diseases I picked up, I am sure...like scarlet fever, yes very dangerous. Anyway it makes me a little sad. My blood is O- which is actually not as common as it could be. You could be any blood type at all and need a transfusion, and they could safely give you O-. My blood can go to anyone woo! I figured out a very strange phenomenon as well. As I watched them stick the large straw that they call a needle into my husband's arm, I felt a bit dizzy and kind of faint. This is odd because whenever I get shots or have blood drawn for tests, I am fine. I can watch the needle go in and everything. So if I feel faint at the sight of my husband getting stuck with a needle, imagine how I will feel when we have babies getting their immunizations. Sorry future children, future mommy may be passed out on the floor while you are crying.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Lol, poor future children. On the upside after the shots are done they can have a lolipop!