Sunday, May 25, 2008

I like books, and cookies, and reeses, and BJ

I'm currently reading a book called, The Talisman, which a coworker let me borrow. It was coauthored by Steven King and Peter Straub, and it's very good thus far. I haven't really enjoyed a King novel since BJ and I listened to, Salem's Lot, on an audio book. Also a very good book, but involving vampires, which I have yet to see in this new book. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. In other book news, I really enjoyed the trilogy of his dark materials, which was all started off with, The Golden Compass. Yes it has talking animals, but that does not make it a rip off of Narnia. Seriously people, CS Lewis did not come up with the idea of talking animals out of the blue. There are any number of folktales, that predate CS Lewis by, a lot, which are filled with talking animals. Take the compilations of Hans Christian Anderson and the Brothers Grimm; they just wrote down the different stories they happened upon in their travels, and there are a fat lot of talking animals. Tolkien even made trees talk, and that says....well, something. I have a headache. : [ And my keyboard is a little messed up, most of the number keys at the top will no longer function correctly. Unfortunately I am deprived of all those nifty little symbols that might normally be available by pressing the shift key. I am working on compiling music for the reception for the wedding, and while meandering my way through my ITunes library, I just find so many good songs that are so totally inappropriate. So I made a list of totally inappropriate songs while I was at it. Where else can one find the Gorillaz with Queen? I really like the Feel Good Inc song. BJ said it probably wasn't a good idea to play it at the reception {I agreed.} You, the reader, should probably understand that our wedding is primarily made up of family and close friends. And BJ and I have a very small number of close friends, so there will be a slightly more "mature" audience there. Not that that is a limiting factor, but it definitely spins more of a family reunion / Backyard BBQ feel for the afternoon. I like it; our wedding is just one big family party. I'm thinking of purchasing a set of Bocci balls. It's a fun game to play in grassy outdoor areas. I like it a lot more than croquet, personally. Yep, getting married in the afternoon with a tea and dessert reception which = SUGAR RUSH...This is the part where you might normally see explanation points...: [ Ah well, I am off to bed to get rid of my headache, and to watch a little family guy. Nothing cures your ills like a little humor.

1 comment:

Jade said...

And I just realized the bag of candy in our kitchen floor was yours, not William's, so thanks for the chocolate! I don't think I ever read The Talisman...you'll have to let me know if it's any good.

I'm re-reading Harry Potter right now. Had to start reading something while the computer was dead!