Saturday, September 6, 2008

New type of book...food memoir?

So I have become a little over interested in Japanese food, and bento, and sticky rice, and onigiri, and if I had a deep frier, I would have tried to make egg rolls by now too. I want to make myself bento style luches, and I thought if I get good at it, I can make them for future children. But then I was thinking, how is a kid going to feel about a japanese packed lunch when they are totally not Japanese? I got this book from the library. It's considered a food memoir. I have never read a food memoir before, unless Chocolat counts, but I am pretty sure that it does not. This girl is explaining her childhood mostly by the impact of food and eating habits. It's pretty darn cool. At the end of each chapter, it provides a recipe for some food dish that played a major role in that chapter; just what I need to try some new things out!! Bento Box in the Heartland My Japanese Girlhood in Whitebread America by Linda Furiya. It's pretty cool. Check it out, but be warned, it will make you HUNGRY!

No comments: