Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesday Movie Madness Extravaganza Thing!

Today is Tuesday...bombombom!!! BJ and I have been kicked back watching movies allllllllllllll day, except for that one episode of Lois and Clark we watched with breakfast this morning. We watched some scary movies, some creepy movies, some funny movies, and a lousy movie that was suppossed to be really scarey. I wanted to blog and tell you about the ones that I liked, and even the one that I didn't. Please exscuse the vocabulary and sentence structure, my brain feels a little squishy after watching the tv all day.

Batman: The Dark Knight : Very good flick. Very LONG flick. Although it felt like they were not in a rush to tell the story, it was definitely one of "those" movies where you could tell the passage of time. Don't get me wrong. I am a big LOTR fan of those movies. They always had the unique ability to absorb my full attention so that I didn't even know I had just sat there for 3 and a 1/2 hours straight. All in all, good film, but the pacing felt a wee bit off.

Open Water : Based on a true story about a couple who was left behind in the ocean. You can believe I am never going scuba diving after watching this one. I might consider snorkeling given the appropriate stimulii, but with my intense fear of sharks, I would be better off just going to the aquarium. Very well made movie on the shoestring of a budget. I have no idea how they did some of the very complicated filming and I am highly impressed. And never going scuba diving...ever. (at least not without a waterproof sattelite phone, a bottle of water, and a compass.)

Be Kind Rewind : Suprisingly fun and engaging. Not a whole lot of emphasis on Jack Black in this one, so his tendency to act "Jack Black" is somewhat diluted with the other folks in the film. Check it out, it's really cute. And it made me mad at Sigourney Weaver. After seeing her in baby mama it's got me wondering where she'll pop up next. Kudos to her working in big films again, but she was always my favorite in the aliens movie facing down the queen.

Day of the Dead : A remake of the Romero original, which I have not seen, but I am cool with. I just can't seem to find a zombie movie as poignant or strikingly terrifying as Dawn of the Dead. Of course the 28 days later and 28 weeks later rank incredibly high on list of fav. zombie films. End result, watch it if you feel like getting creeped out by zombies doing the "zombie thing," but don't get your hopes up for superb quality of zombie lore.

Seed : This one got two thumbs, and two big toes, DOWN! Anytime I feel like rolling over and going to sleep during a horror movie, there is something seriously wrong. I mean seriously! The logic the good guys were using made absolutely no sense. There was a lot of blood and gore, but effects don't always carry the movie when you introduce a confusing rag tag team of characters who plotted against the serial killer, get me confused as to who exactly is being killed because I know I have seen that character but I just can't recall who he is, and making very little linear sense. BLECH!!!

Some flicks we watched yesterday or very recently...

Mr Brooks : Oh this movie was just beautiful. It was funny, there was death involved. Kevin Costner was positively brilliant. Gotta say, the daughter was completely transparent to me, and I am not always swift on the uptake. I had sneaking suspicions about her that were confirmed waaaaaaaay into the movie. If you feel like watching a guy kill people who hates himself for doing it but just can't bring himself to stop, check this one out, it was sweet. I wasn't sold on Demi Moore's character struggle, but I don't think they developed it enough. It ended up feeling like to conflicting plotlines uncomfortably squeezed into the same space. You know, like construction where the lane narrows and you're stuck behind a slow driver, sandwiched uncomfortably between a semi and a concrete barrier. That being said, Kevin Costner and William Hurt were impeccable.

3:10 to Yuma : A little slow starting out. I felt the awkwardness between the characters and felt it settle as their relationships developed. It was just beautiful at the end. 500 points for this one!

There were others that we watched, but none of them were exciting enough to win a place in this blog. To Nim's Island, Kung Fu Panda, and the others, don't hate me, you were just fine. Seed was just bad enough to get in here so I could talk about how bad it was. Ta ta for now! I think we are going to watch Stargate Continuum. Maybe...

1 comment:

Mary said...

Movie overload! Lol, I guess Kung Fu Panda should be happy it didn't rank low enough to make it on the you were bad list.